Recipe adapted from alexandracooks.com
250 grams sifted red fife or hard red spring flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup lukewarm water
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add the softened butter and blend it together with the dry mixture using a fork.
- Stir in the lukewarm water and mix to form a dough
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly for a couple of minutes just until the dough comes together.
- Cut the dough into 5-10 pieces (if you would like large tortillas for burritos cut into 5 pieces, if you would like smaller ones for tacos then I suggest 10). I actually cut mine into 8 pieces and found that was a good size.
- Shape the pieces of dough into balls. Cover with a clean kitchen towel for 30 minutes.
- Roll out each dough ball very very thin. As thin as you possibly can.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Do not add any oil. Lay the tortilla in the pan and cook for 30 seconds on each side. It will start to form bubbles and get some dark spots on the bottom.
- Enjoy with your favourite taco or burrito toppings! Store in an airtight bag in the fridge.