This is an easy everyday break that can be made with any of our flours.
395 grams of either wholegrain or sifted flour (we find it important to weigh your flour and water because then you have a more accurate recipe but if you do not have a scale, it will be around 3 1/4 cups
additional 1/4 cup or so of flour for work surface and your hands
227 grams of lukewarm water (1 cup)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 oil (used olive oil but any kind will do)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS vital wheat gluten** this is optional but it gives the bread a lovely chewier texture
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until everything is just incorporated and then let the dough rest 20-30 minutes.
- Knead dough by hand for 8 minutes. You will likely use about 1/4 cup of flour on your work surface, to smooth and elastic. You can add a bit more to get there if need be but be careful to not add too much.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough in there to let it rest, covered for 2 hours. It should be puffy but not necessarily double in size.
- Gently deflate the dough and shape it into a round log that will fit into your loaf pan. Place into a well greased loaf pan and loosely cover with plastic wrap or a reusable cover.
- Let the dough rise again another 1 hour or so, until it crests about 1 inch over the top of the loaf pan in the center. Preheat your oven to 350.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. You may need to tent some tinfoil over it at the 20 minute mark if the top is browning too quickly.
- gently remove from loaf pan and let cool completely before slicing.